Next week, New Orleans will become an epicenter for the U.S. health system. Here, in the birthplace of jazz and at a crossroads of the South, more than 40,000 health care leaders will gather for the annual conference of the Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS).
As one of the largest associations of health technology professionals, HIMSS plays a big role in influencing health IT trends. The timing of the conference also creates a natural launch point for the topics – from patient care coordination to financial management systems – that will dominate in the coming year.
At past HIMSS conferences, topics including Meaningful Use and “Accountable Care” served as the issues du jour. In 2013, however, the convergence of issues reflects the “system in transition” reality of health care as it grapples with a range of challenges from meeting the needs of more – and more chronically ill – patients to financial and regulatory pressures to emerging consumer demands and public policy goals.
From providing care to managing health
Here, Optum’s exhibit serves up examples. The company has oriented its HIMSS presence to the questions clients are voicing, as they navigate the journey from providing care to managing health of patients and communities.
The Optum exhibit (Booth #7041) focuses on the key questions health professionals face as they work toward meeting patient needs, financial and regulatory pressures, consumer expectations and emerging public policy goals, including:
- How are you dealing with changing payer relationships?
- Are you meeting clinical quality measures?
- Is your organization ready for ICD-10?
- How can you unlock the power of health data to improve patient care and participate in value-based reimbursement models?
Beyond the conference center, Optum invites HIMSS13 attendees to make a difference for New Orleans kids and their wellness. For every mile logged (with an Optum supplied pedometer – stop by our exhibit!), Optum will donate $1 to Change the Kids, Change the Future™, a comprehensive wellness initiative led by Ochsner Health System and schools in New Orleans.
From nutrition and fitness programs to student wellness councils, the initiative aims to inspire a healthier generation that reverses alarming trends in diabetes, obesity and other health conditions. Optum is proud to support this worthwhile cause, and hopes HIMSS13 attendees will help us reach our donation goal of $10,000.
Connect with Optum at HIMSS?
- Learn how Optum and UPMC are solving claims coding and clinical documentation improvement challenges amidst a proliferation of electronic medical records systems.
- When: Monday, March 4, 9:45 to 10:45 am
- Where: Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, Room 282
- Speakers: Adele L. Towers, Medical Director, Health Information Management University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and Mark Morsch, Vice President of Technology at Optum
- The Optum exhibit is located at #7041 in the conference hall. Attendees can also visit http://www.optum.com/landing/himss2013/ for more information.
- Follow us on Twitter @OptumNews for the latest news during the show.